Thoughts on India

When people ask me about my trip to India, I don’t feel like I can really tell them what it was like to be there. They’ll ask me what my favorite part was, or what the food was like, or how it was different than other places I’ve traveled to. But I always find it difficult to express in words what it really felt like to be in India. I think it’s an experience that you can’t really know until you’ve had it yourself. Nevertheless, there are things I want to tell people about my trip. I want them to know that it wasn’t the sites or the food that will stay with me the longest – although the caves and the curry were all amazing – but rather the differences I observed between the lifestyle in India and the lifestyle I am familiar with. Overall the pace of life in India felt slower; it felt like people were enjoying their time with others or alone, going about their daily lives. Even in Mumbai I observed people walking down the street, often talking to people. I rarely saw phones; instead I saw people interacting with each other and the space around them. Seeing this made me think about what it would be like to live without a constant agenda – without having to always be rushing off to the next activity, checking items off a to-do list, or doing things just for the sake of being busy. From what I observed in India, it must be pretty nice. The people there may not have as much material stuff as we do here, but I think their lives have just as much meaning as ours do. If anything, our trip to India got me thinking about what really matters – maybe it’s not cramming as much as possible in 24 hours, but rather choosing what’s important and remembering to stop and look around once in a while. Our ten days in India were short but packed full of amazing experiences. I can’t wait to go back.