My Experience In India

I feel as though those ten days passed too quickly. Before I knew it, we were already back on a plane to the USA. We experienced so many new things and although I was always a bit disoriented, I was eager for more. For the first time in my life, I was able to see such magnificent ancient caves and temples at Elephanta, Ajanta, Ellora, and Pitalkhora. The only thing I was disappointed in was the fact that we were not able to travel more and visit the many other grand sites of India. Not only was our sense of sight engaged, but so were our taste buds. For 3 meals a day, every single day, we ate numerous unfamiliar foods. There was so much to try that after the first few dishes, I stopped asking about names and ingredients. Instead, my priorities were on eating the delicious cuisines and simply enjoying them. Our adventure in India was great but something I’ve been thinking about for a while is that we were only able to have the experiences that we did because of our privileges. While in India, we saw less fortunate people everywhere we went. The divide between the wealthy and the impoverished was as clear and distinct as high rises on one side of a street and slums right across on the other side. I could never shake off the guilt of having to reject the men trying to sell souvenirs to tourists or children begging for money on the street. It was extremely difficult to see people of all ages struggling to make a living but something that we needed in order to force us to reflect back on our own selves. It may have been unpleasant but the people we saw while in India were so hardworking and always striving for better. I felt that reminded us of the immense gratitude we should have for the kinds of lives we were blessed with.