The Final Countdown

In less than 12 hours I will board a plane that will take me from San Francisco to Newark, beginning my long trip to Mumbai. Until now, the thought of India has seemed far away and intangible. Now it is close, right in front of me, and more real than ever. I don’t really know what to expect when I step off the plane in Mumbai. People who have traveled to India have told me that some of the first things I may notice are the sounds, which won’t ceaseĀ until I board the plane back to Newark; the smells, which will be stronger than anything I’m used to; and the sights, which can be at times beautiful and at other times heart breaking. Whatever my experience will be during the too short time we are in India, I know it will only be a glimpse into a corner of the world which is, in the grand scheme of things, small, but which is also bursting at the seams with colors, people, culture, and history. I cannot wait to see what this magnificent country has to offer, and to soak in every moment that I am lucky enough to spend there.